Subject: how to best add libregex/nbcompat?
To: None <>
From: Georg Schwarz <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2005 22:35:18
In my attempt to finally get full IRIX 5.3 support to pkgsrc bootstrap I
attempted to build devel/bmake as a preliminary step.
IRIX 5.3 does not have libregex or regex.h, but this is now included
with libnbcomat :-)
However, devel/bmake does not make use of it :-(

../../pkgtools/libnbcompat/ uses
LIBS+=  ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat}
only in the case of GNU_CONFIGURE.

Thus I manually added
to the do-build line in devel/bmake/Makefile.

This added -lnbcompat to the link line.
Should I rather use
LIBS+=  ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat} and
then add just

Under which conditions should I add ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat}? Most
platforms probably do not need it. How is this controlled?
A similar issue applies to other packages as well.
Should I explicitly check for IRIX < 6=?

I also had to add
because otherwise the configure script would not be able to decide
whether it is mipseb or mipsel.
This should not hurt on other architectures, but maybe there is a more
elegant approach?

Any help in getting bmake and then bootstrap properly compile on IRIX
5.3 would be appreciated. In fact the regex issue applies to a good deal
of other packages as well.

Georg Schwarz  +49 178 8545053