Subject: how to best add libregex/nbcompat?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Georg Schwarz <georg.schwarz@freenet.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/27/2005 22:35:18
In my attempt to finally get full IRIX 5.3 support to pkgsrc bootstrap I
attempted to build devel/bmake as a preliminary step.
IRIX 5.3 does not have libregex or regex.h, but this is now included
with libnbcomat :-)
However, devel/bmake does not make use of it :-(

../../pkgtools/libnbcompat/buildlink3.mk uses
LIBS+=  ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat}
only in the case of GNU_CONFIGURE.

Thus I manually added
LIBS="${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat}"
to the do-build line in devel/bmake/Makefile.

This added -lnbcompat to the link line.
Should I rather use
LIBS+=  ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat} and
then add just
LIBS="${LIBS}"?

Under which conditions should I add ${BUILDLINK_LDADD.libnbcompat}? Most
platforms probably do not need it. How is this controlled?
A similar issue applies to other packages as well.
Should I explicitly check for IRIX < 6=?

I also had to add
MACHINE_ARCH="${MACHINE_ARCH}"
because otherwise the configure script would not be able to decide
whether it is mipseb or mipsel.
This should not hurt on other architectures, but maybe there is a more
elegant approach?

Any help in getting bmake and then bootstrap properly compile on IRIX
5.3 would be appreciated. In fact the regex issue applies to a good deal
of other packages as well.

Thanks.

--
Georg Schwarz    http://home.pages.de/~schwarz/