Subject: Re: net-snmp, NetBSD 2.1 difficulties
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/22/2005 22:58:46
On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 12:17:52PM -0600, Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I've been looking into setting up net-snmp for mrtg. It seems that snmpd doesn't like NetBSD 2.1. When running snmpd in the foreground, a query to it from a program such as snmpstatus causes snmpd to spew errors like:
>
> kvm_read(*, 80cd200, 0x480c46b4, 4) = -1: kvm_read: Bad address
> auto_nlist failed on ifnet at location 80cd200
>
> In this case snmpstatus shows the uname fine, but the information on network interfaces shows as zero.
>
> Is this a case of me not configuring something right, or just plain brokenness? Has anyone else got this to work, or had a similar problem?

I see snmpd die with that message fairly often (about once per a week)
on one 1.6.2 box which is measured by mrtg. I haven't seen that problem
on another 2.0.2 box also measured by mrtg.

By chance, aren't you using net-snmp compiled for some previous major
release? net-snmp uses KVM routines, so it's very sensitive to kernel
structure changes. Compiling with userland up-to-date to the running
kernel might fix your problem.

Jaromir
-=- We can walk our road together if our goals are all the same;     -=-
-=- We can run alone and free if we pursue a different aim.          -=-