Subject: Re: backup to CD
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/22/2005 17:10:04
On Sat 19 Nov 2005 at 10:12:43 -0500, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> While we are discussing it, can someone give a quick diff between
> sysutils/dvd+rw-tools and sysutils/dvdrecord.

I use the former. Its "growisofs" command calls "mkisofs" in the correct
way to add files to a DVD+RW or just create a new one (also works on
DVD+R). It should also be able to add files to a DVD+R but I never
needed to try that.

It can also just write a pre-existing image file.

As for backups, so far I have done it a bit simplistically and used
dump(8) to stdout, piped to growisofs in image mode. This has a big
disadvantage that you can put only one dump on a DVD+R(W).

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.