Subject: Re: usage of USE_INET6
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2005 16:48:43
Todd Vierling wrote:

> If the package *requires* IPv6 to build, it should not simply be deleted;
> rather, some mechanism should enforce the IPv6 capability, and fail if the
> user requested no use of IPv6.  Otherwise you're left with ambiguity as to
> whether the user's USE_INET6 (or more properly, "inet6" package option)
> choice was respected.

I do not understand how this is related to the question. Using
"BUILD_DEFS+=USE_INET6" did nothing to enforce the IPv6 capability, so
how does deleting this line change anything?

If a package unconditionally needs IPv6, then "inet6" is not really
an option for this package at all, since it should be possible for
options to be disabled as well as enabled.

> (A sample of what I'm currently doing for these cases, pending a new options
> feature from dillo, is in net/sipcalc.  It uses the newer "inet6"
> PKG_OPTIONS, and forces it to be present -- failing if it was turned off, or
> if the platform does not support it.)

Looking at net/sipcalc, I think this works only as long as USE_INET6
is available and will be automatically mapped to "inet6" or "-inet6". As
soon as USE_INET6 is gone, there will be no "inet6" enabled by
pkgsrc/mk/*.

ciao
     Klaus