Subject: Re: usage of USE_INET6
To: Klaus Heinz <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/20/2005 10:03:05
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> I am looking at replacing USE_INET6 with appropriate use of
> While looking at the affected packages, I found that
> some of them just have a line
> sometimes with a comment of "supports IPv6" or "list it into IPv6-ready
> packages".
> Since those packages are not really affected by USE_INET6 I wonder
> whether this use of BUILD_DEFS was correct in the past. Today, I think
> this line should just be deleted.

If the package *requires* IPv6 to build, it should not simply be deleted;
rather, some mechanism should enforce the IPv6 capability, and fail if the
user requested no use of IPv6.  Otherwise you're left with ambiguity as to
whether the user's USE_INET6 (or more properly, "inet6" package option)
choice was respected.

(A sample of what I'm currently doing for these cases, pending a new options
feature from dillo, is in net/sipcalc.  It uses the newer "inet6"
PKG_OPTIONS, and forces it to be present -- failing if it was turned off, or
if the platform does not support it.)

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>