Subject: Re: backup to CD
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@NetBSD.org>
From: David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/19/2005 01:06:23
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:

> cdbkup did just exactly the same, but with GNU tar instead of dump/
> restore. There are two helper programs - cdcat and cdsplit - allowed
> to read/write backups from/to multiple CDs.
>
> My (so not even started yet, in planning stage) effort was to create
> modular cdbkup tool, i.e. it would be possible to use any real backup/
> restore tools (named collectors) and pass the data through compressors,
> encryptors (aka filters), then wrote it to any storage, using media
> drivers. Please read details about cdbkup at:
>
> 	http://www.ua.NetBSD.org/~mishka/cdbkup/design.html

I like...

Aside: the sysutils/cdbkup seems to not want to let me use
sysutils/cdrtools-ossdvd or any other DVD burning package, though there
seems to be no reason for it.  Would you please fix this?

Another thing: this would require altering cdbkup itself.  It would be
nice to add functionality to detect if a DVD+RW is being used and use
sysutils/dvd+rw-tools if this is the case.

Can someone please explain why cd/dvdtools doesn't have +RW functionality?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu