Subject: Re: naming rules for packages with perl modules
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.nov.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 23:00:38
Greg Troxel wrote:
> I have renamed graphics/exiftool to p5-Image-ExifTool.
>
>   There are no hard-and-fast rules for these kinds of things -- just
>   use your judgment.
>
> OK, so no guide update :-)

Just as an illustration: SpamAssassin was imported as
p5-Mail-Spamassassin and later renamed to spamassassin. As the package
stands today, it is really a mix of Perl modules, standalone programs
using the module (or even compiled C programs) and accompanying files
and skripts (mostly for developers and spam corpus contributors).
For some time I am considering splitting the package into three separate
packages similar to what other packaging systems do
(p5-Mail-SpamAssassin again, spamassassin and spamassassin-tools).

In your case, I agree that p5-Image-ExifTool is probably the right name.

ciao
     Klaus