Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/bulk
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 19:56:16
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 09:19:08AM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:
> Dieter Baron wrote:
> >In article <20051116221111.50B1E2DA27@cvs.netbsd.org> Roland wrote:
> >
> >: Module Name:    pkgsrc
> >: Committed By:   rillig
> >: Date:           Wed Nov 16 22:11:11 UTC 2005
> >
> >: Modified Files:
> >:         pkgsrc/mk/bulk: printindex
> >
> >: Log Message:
> >: As I'm not sure for what things ${BULKFILESDIR}/${BROKENFILE} is used,
> >: error messages from failed "cd" commands simply go to stderr.
> >
> >  This is wrong.  The output of a bulk build is enormous, and thus
> >likely not read by the user.
> >
> >  Failed cd commands will result in a package specified in
> >*_SPECIFIC_PKGS not being built, which should be told to the user in a
> >way less likely to be lost.
>
> The dilemma is that the bulk builds don't have a way of logging
> important warnings. The first file that comes to mind is of course
> ${BULKFILESDIR}/${BROKENFILE}, but this one has already format
> restrictions and is parsed by other programs.

  The idea Thomas and I discussed was to introduce a new number to
indicate non-existent package directories (e. g. -2) and adapt the
scripts that process that file.

> Summarized: The file structure of the bulk builds is severely broken and
> needs to be fixed.

  Perhaps, but your change is even more fundamentally broken.  As an
interim, at least log non-existannt package directories in another
file.  These errors cause packages the user requested not to be built.
The user should not have to compare lists of requested and built
packages to find out that happened.

					thanks,
					dillo