Subject: naming rules for packages with perl modules
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 07:19:13
I imported pksgsrc/graphics/exiftool, which includes a perl module
Image-ExifTool and a script exiftool that uses it.  Perhaps because I
use the script and not the module (directly), I named the package
exiftool.  I found a p5-Image-ExifTool package by Roman Kulik in
pkgsrc-wip that's similar, and used it to improve my package.  Roman
suggested that the p5-Image-ExifTool followed convention.

The guide doesn't mention perl module naming rules.  If this were just
a module, I'd want to use p5-Image-ExifTool.  But with a script that
to me is the real reason for the package I'm not sure.  Right now I'm
inclined to reimport the package as p5-Image-ExifTool, but wanted to
ask about combination perl script/modules.

Should the guide be updated to contain this convention?