Subject: Re: SunOS - Sun Studio 11 released / free
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 11:47:11

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 09:18:01PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
> >what problem do you think it would solve?  i don't see any gain..
> Easy installation.
> "cd pkgsrc/*/sunstudio11 && make install"  instead of ... I don't know.

instead of running a java install wizard, which takes care of additional
things like installing complementary system packages and patches (at
least for older WorkShop^WSunPro^H^H^H Studio releases).

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 10:59:08PM +0100, Urban Boquist wrote:
> Can the solaris pkg be installed easily on a machine where I have no
> superuser privileges (without doing it "by hand")?

> I for one would be very happy with a Sun Studio package in pkgsrc, it
> would just make things simpler for me. On the solaris system where I
> use pkgsrc I am forced to do unprivileged builds and the sunpro
> compiler we have installed is really ancient.

the "easy, unprivileged install" reason sounds fair enough.

what we are missing is a clean way of installing/converting SysV
packages within the current pkgsrc infrastructure.  but it sounds like a
good thing to have, e.g., similar to what we do with linux RPM packages.

of course, nothing will happen unless someone actually works it ;)

-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@{NetBSD,Xtrmntr,silcnet}.org>   --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.2 (NetBSD)