Subject: Re: backup to CD
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 11:11:24
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:35:36 +0100
Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:53:57PM -0800, David Griffith wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering if it would be a Good Idea to get a NetBSD-sanctioned
> > backup-to-[CD|DVD] utility going and maintained.  cdbkup is great, but it
> > doesn't appear to have been maintained since last year.  Anyone
> > interested?
>
> I haven't tried sysutils/cdbkup yet, but what I would like to see is
> dump(8) being able to pipe its output through other programs (gzip, gpg)
> first, and then still create fixed size output blocks (like 700Mb), so we
> can still use restore(8)'s volume handling with e.g. compressed/encrypted
> backup CD's.

cdbkup did just exactly the same, but with GNU tar instead of dump/
restore. There are two helper programs - cdcat and cdsplit - allowed
to read/write backups from/to multiple CDs.

My (so not even started yet, in planning stage) effort was to create
modular cdbkup tool, i.e. it would be possible to use any real backup/
restore tools (named collectors) and pass the data through compressors,
encryptors (aka filters), then wrote it to any storage, using media
drivers. Please read details about cdbkup at:

	http://www.ua.NetBSD.org/~mishka/cdbkup/design.html

--
Kind regards,
Mishka.