Subject: Re: backup to CD
To: David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
From: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 10:03:06
On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 12:47:54AM -0800, David Griffith wrote:
> That's the kind of dump-ish flexibility I want to be able to use with CDs
> and DVDs.  sysutils/cdbkup is somewhat vaguely similar to dump in how
> it's invoked.  I like the way the resulting CDs are iso9660 with a
> tarball containing the data thereby allowing me to manually fiddle with
> the data.  Would this modification to dump(8) also do this or would the
> CDs be written raw?

That's up to you.  Either you create tempfiles first, and put them in an
iso filesystem with mkisofs before you burn them, or you burn them directly
to cd.  I prefer the latter, you can instruct restore(8) to read from
/dev/rcd0a.  You can also put multiple files on one CD, as multiple
sessions, and use mscdlabel(8) to convert the track info into a disklabel
and use the according /dev/rcd0* devices.  Same for tar(1), btw.

	Geert