Subject: Re: backup to CD
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: David Griffith <dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 00:47:54
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Geert Hendrickx wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:53:57PM -0800, David Griffith wrote:
> >
> > I'm wondering if it would be a Good Idea to get a NetBSD-sanctioned
> > backup-to-[CD|DVD] utility going and maintained.  cdbkup is great, but it
> > doesn't appear to have been maintained since last year.  Anyone
> > interested?
>
> I haven't tried sysutils/cdbkup yet, but what I would like to see is
> dump(8) being able to pipe its output through other programs (gzip, gpg)
> first, and then still create fixed size output blocks (like 700Mb), so we
> can still use restore(8)'s volume handling with e.g. compressed/encrypted
> backup CD's.

That's the kind of dump-ish flexibility I want to be able to use with CDs
and DVDs.  sysutils/cdbkup is somewhat vaguely similar to dump in how it's
invoked.  I like the way the resulting CDs are iso9660 with a tarball
containing the data thereby allowing me to manually fiddle with the data.
Would this modification to dump(8) also do this or would the CDs be
written raw?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi@cs.csubak.edu