Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/mk/bulk
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/18/2005 09:19:08
Dieter Baron wrote:
> In article <20051116221111.50B1E2DA27@cvs.netbsd.org> Roland wrote:
>
> : Module Name:    pkgsrc
> : Committed By:   rillig
> : Date:           Wed Nov 16 22:11:11 UTC 2005
>
> : Modified Files:
> :         pkgsrc/mk/bulk: printindex
>
> : Log Message:
> : As I'm not sure for what things ${BULKFILESDIR}/${BROKENFILE} is used,
> : error messages from failed "cd" commands simply go to stderr.
>
>   This is wrong.  The output of a bulk build is enormous, and thus
> likely not read by the user.
>
>   Failed cd commands will result in a package specified in
> *_SPECIFIC_PKGS not being built, which should be told to the user in a
> way less likely to be lost.

The dilemma is that the bulk builds don't have a way of logging
important warnings. The first file that comes to mind is of course
${BULKFILESDIR}/${BROKENFILE}, but this one has already format
restrictions and is parsed by other programs.

The name for this file is chosen inappropriately anyway, since the
${BULKFILESDIR}/${PKGPATH}/${BROKENFILE} files are unstructured text
files whereas the main ${BROKENFILE} isn't.

Another thing is the .html suffix of those files. For the
${BROKENWRKLOG} this is not needed at all, as the contents is always
"<pre>" + to_html(cat(".work.log")) + "</pre>". For the main
${BROKENFILE}, it is wrong, too.

Summarized: The file structure of the bulk builds is severely broken and
needs to be fixed.

Roland