Subject: Re: SunOS - Sun Studio 11 released / free
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Urban Boquist <urban@boquist.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/17/2005 22:59:08
>>>>> Lubomir Sedlacik writes:

Lubomir> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 07:35:04AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>> >The Sun Studio 11 compiler suite is now availiable for the price
>> >of $0 on Solaris Sparc, Solaris x86, and on Linux.
>>
>> pkg!

Lubomir> that makes a very little sense to me.  it already *is* a pkg,
Lubomir> a solaris native one.  it resides in /opt/SUNWspro by default
Lubomir> and pkgsrc infrastructure supports it.

Lubomir> what problem do you think it would solve?  i don't see any
Lubomir> gain..

Can the solaris pkg be installed easily on a machine where I have no
superuser privileges (without doing it "by hand")?

I for one would be very happy with a Sun Studio package in pkgsrc, it
would just make things simpler for me. On the solaris system where I
use pkgsrc I am forced to do unprivileged builds and the sunpro
compiler we have installed is really ancient.

Best regards,

        -- Urban