Subject: Re: When has a binary package changed?
To: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/17/2005 12:36:58
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, joerg@britannica.bec.de wrote:

> >   * Dependency changes occur when a DEPENDS changes in a package, or a
> >     BUILDLINK_DEPENDS or BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED changes in a buildlink3 file
> >     directly included by a package.  Indirect buildlink3 inclusions are not
> >     covered, as they do not affect direct dependency information; and a bump
> >     is also not required if a BUILDLINK_DEPENDS is bumped such that it is
> >     still "less" than an also-present BUILDLINK_RECOMMENDED.
>
> It is also important to distinguish the few cases of static libraries,
> read pure build time dependencies. If I'm not much mistaken, the last
> revision bump of pkg_filecheck from Roland was not necessary, since
> libnbcompat is purely static.

Well, not necessarily.

Static libraries are a stranger case, and I forgot to include that one.  You
can in fact change a package when a dependency (containing static libraries)
changes.  To that end,

  * A file change can occur in the package even if a change is made only to
    a build-time dependency (via BUILD_DEPENDS or a buildlink3 file using
    BUILDLINK_DEPMETHOD.<pkg>=build).  These cases should be considered
    carefully by the person updating the dependency; in particular, if the
    dependency provides static link libraries that change, a PKGREVISION
    bump is still required for its dependents even though runtime dependency
    information will not change.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>