Subject: Re: SunOS - Sun Studio 11 released / free
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/17/2005 11:40:09
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:

> > >The Sun Studio 11 compiler suite is now availiable for the price of
> > >$0 on Solaris Sparc, Solaris x86, and on Linux.
> >
> > pkg!
> that makes a very little sense to me.  it already *is* a pkg, a solaris
> native one.  it resides in /opt/SUNWspro by default and pkgsrc
> infrastructure supports it.

"and on Linux" is one possible reason.

There are in fact Solaris users who prefer to use pkgsrc's own packaging
system where possible, and having this as a package would make it easier to
provide PKGSRC_COMPILER=sunpro if it isn't already installed by the Solaris

Okay, I'm done playing devil's advocate.  :)

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>