Subject: pkgsrc on Solaris
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/17/2005 13:28:16
Greetings, I'm sure there are quite a few people on this list who use pkgsrc on
Solaris. Now that Solaris and Sun Studio 11 are free, it would be nice to
enhance pkgsrc for this platform. What I mean by that is not simply doing bulk
builds (anyone can do that) but finding broken packages and fixing them.

I notice that there are a lot of packages that break due to:

1. Different operating system environment
2. Different compiler environment (sunpro)

In fact, packages that happily compile with gcc, fail to compile with sunpro
compiler. Sun compilers are good and produce faster code, so I think it's
important to fix packages that have been "hardcoded" for gcc, or at least nag
the original developers to streamline their code.

Another point I would like to bring up is bug reports management and
resolution. I do understand that work on pkgsrc is done by volunteers in their
spare time, however I do get the feeling that:

1. When submitting bug reports for Solaris, they get assigned to
solaris-pkg-people
2. Bug reports/patches sit there for months and
solaris-pkg-people don't do anything noticable about them. Checking out current
pkgsrc, I see the same old bugs that could have been fixed ages ago.

I don't really know who solaris-pkg-people are and how much workload they have,
but when people submit patches, etc., and they just stagnate in bug database,
it makes you feel a bit discouraged.

Overall, I think pkgsrc is a great framework and I would like to thank everyone
who maintains and uses it.

PS. I don't work for Sun :-)