Subject: Re: Consistency in mk/defaults/mk.conf
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2005 05:00:14
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 03:45:34AM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:

> I have recently implemented a pkglint check that considers every
> variable in mk/defaults/mk.conf to be user-settable, that is, packages
> must not set or modify that variable. The check is currently disabled,
> but it shows some bugs in packages that should be fixed, so I think it
> is useful.

This assumption isn't actually correct for all of the variables listed
in mk/defaults/mk.conf, although I do see benefit in this.  If there
are any package-settable variables in mk/defaults/mk.conf, I think
they should be moved into separate file, perhaps mk/defaults/pkg-vars.mk
that's automatically included by bsd.prefs.mk.  This would make it
easier for a user to copy mk/defaults/mk.conf to /etc/mk.conf and edit
away without breaking packages.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>