Subject: Re: Documentation on package Makefiles
To: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2005 04:46:10
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 02:35:31AM +0100, Roland Illig wrote:

> * In the first section there are the following variables, which should
> appear exactly in the order given here.

These are the variables that specify the names and locations of the
primary distfile(s) being fetched as well as the names and locations
of the binary packages created.

> * The second section contains information about separately downloaded
> patches, if any.
>
> * The third section contains the following variables.

These variables just give a quick summary of some package information.

> What I'm missing here is some reason _why_ these variables should be
> grouped and ordered this way, especially for the first and third
> section. The second section already has a description ("separately
> downloaded patches"). Can we add some description for the first and
> third section as well? That would be nice, as the current grouping is
> still non-obvious to me, and probably to many others.

Any order we choose is completely arbitrary -- some variables may seem
logical to cluster only because they are related in some arbitrarily
chosen way.  Don't try too hard to find a compelling reason for it.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>