Subject: Documentation on package Makefiles
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/15/2005 02:35:31

In the "8.1 Makefile" section of the pkgsrc guide[1], there are the
following sentences:

* In the first section there are the following variables, which should
appear exactly in the order given here.

* The second section contains information about separately downloaded
patches, if any.

* The third section contains the following variables.

What I'm missing here is some reason _why_ these variables should be
grouped and ordered this way, especially for the first and third
section. The second section already has a description ("separately
downloaded patches"). Can we add some description for the first and
third section as well? That would be nice, as the current grouping is
still non-obvious to me, and probably to many others.