Subject: Re: prerequisite packages for spamassassin 3.1.0
To: Klaus Heinz <>
From: Johnny Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/14/2005 18:09:23
Klaus Heinz wrote:
> This message appears because the SPF plugin is enabled (see
> /usr/pkg/etc/spamassassin/*.pre) but the package required by the
> plugin is not installed (it's not listed as a required prerequisite for
> spamassassin). If not for license reasons there would have been other
> plugins enabled as well (DCC, Razor2) by the default installation.
> SA works despite the warnings (anticipated and handled by code in the
> plugins) but they can be a bit confusing.
> Should I disable the SPF plugin, deviating from the way SA installs
> usually?
> Should I include p5-Mail-SPF-Query in the requirements?
> Or leave everything as it is now?

Other packages that have these types of optional dependencies use a
MESSAGE file that notes that "these other packages, if installed,
provided extra functionality".  I would recommend adding such a MESSAGE
file to the spamassassin package.  Using PKG_OPTIONS to turn on/off
these types of dependencies is just too heavy IMO, so I think the best
thing we can do for now is to inform the admin/user.

	-- Johnny Lam <>