Subject: Re: Removal of PostgreSQL 7.3
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2005 20:06:56
On Sun, Nov 13, 2005 at 10:15:42AM +1100, grant beattie wrote:

> 7.3 has been in pkgsrc for a long time, and if it's still supported as
> a product, I'd like to see it remain supported in pkgsrc, too (users
> don't care what our motives are, if they can't get the latest 7.3 from
> pkgsrc, they will probably get it somewhere else at their annoyance,
> which reflects badly on us imo).

One major point I tried to make was to choose a policy. Maintaining 2
main versions in HEAD + quarter branch and another version in HEAD is
*my* idea of a fair balance. One point to keep in mind is that we don't
have influence over the maintainance schedule of the PostgreSQL team.
Do you want to step up and maintain pkgsrc patches if they decide to
drop 7.3 in the middle of February and an important bug pops up?

Again, this is not so much about 7.3 vs. 7.4 vs. 8.0 vs. whatever, but
about having a reasonable policy, we can document and on which users can
relay on.

> what I'm unclear on at this point is why 8.0 was chosen as the new
> default. (there seems to be a growing trend of commit messages which
> state "changed xyz to abc", without mentioning the single most
> valuable piece of information -- the *reason* for the change. but
> that's another matter.)

It is faster, has a bunch of important feature and is most likely the
version with the largest userbase right now. Since 8.1 was about to get
released when we first discussed that (now it is), it seemed the best
choice.

Joerg