Subject: Re: Removal of PostgreSQL 7.3
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/13/2005 10:15:42
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:13:16PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 01:33:44PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> >
> > Particularly with databases, I'd expect people to be cautious in
> > upgrading, and think it's good for pkgsrc to continue support the
> > latest stable version in a series until doing so causes some pain.
>
> The latest stable version in the series is 7.4. I don't mean that we
> want to run with the newest version, but each version adds some overhead
> in form of additional maintainance.

7.3 has been in pkgsrc for a long time, and if it's still supported as
a product, I'd like to see it remain supported in pkgsrc, too (users
don't care what our motives are, if they can't get the latest 7.3 from
pkgsrc, they will probably get it somewhere else at their annoyance,
which reflects badly on us imo).

speaking of which, 7.3 needs to be updated to 7.3.11. :)

what I'm unclear on at this point is why 8.0 was chosen as the new
default. (there seems to be a growing trend of commit messages which
state "changed xyz to abc", without mentioning the single most
valuable piece of information -- the *reason* for the change. but
that's another matter.)

grant.