Subject: Re: bootstrap re-engineering status?
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/11/2005 11:23:56
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:55:52 -0800 (PST), "Jeremy C. Reed" writes:
>And the differences between three sets of mk files were too much for me to
>review: native /usr/share/mk, pkgsrc/devel/mk and pkgsrc/bootstrap/*/mk.

I know - that's why I'm not looking ;-)

>If pkgsrc/bootstrap/mods/mk/$opsys.sys.mk exists then copy it to
>$prefix/share/mk/sys.mk else use the mods/mk/generic.sys.mk.

Personally I try to share my netbsd trees via nfs, so I think it would
be better to have a $prefix/share/mk/sys.mk which simply determined
opsys and read $prefix/share/mk/$opsys/sys.mk if it exists.

I made a start on that model a while back see the Generic.sys.mk in my
mk tgz.  It uses ${.PARSEDIR}/$x.sys.mk, but I think ${.PARSEDIR}/$x/sys.mk
might be better.

>If mods/mk/$opsys.bsd.lib.mk exists then copies it in place as bsd.lib.mk.
>If mods/mk/$opsys.bsd.man.mk exists then copies it in place as bsd.man.mk.

copying these to $prefix/share/mk/$opsys/bsd.* would also help the nfs
sharing model.

>cd $wrkdir/bmake && env CPPFLAGS='$CPPFLAGS -I../../libnbcompat' LDFLA
>GS='$LDFLAGS -L../../libnbcompat' LIBS='-lnbcompat' $shprog ./boot-strap
>-q -o $opsys --prefix=$prefix --sysconfdir=$sysconfdir --mksrc none
>--with-default-sys-path="$prefix/share/mk:/usr/share/mk:/usr/local/share/mk:/o
>pt/share/mk")"

The above all looks reasonable.

>Should I jsut remove all the custom mk files from bootstrap and just use
>your mk-20051104?

Er, I think that might be brave.  Its been some years since I built
anything huge with those, and they originally date from NetBSD 1.0
vintage ;-) so I wouldn't claim that they are totally up to snuff.
Of course they work fine for building bmake on lots of systems so they
can't be total junk ;-)

There are also some very cool things in there apart from the bsd*mk
which I do use a lot.

--sjg