Subject: Audio cd 'digital audio extraction' on NetBSD?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@spg.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2005 17:11:56
Hi,

I just found out that the newest batch of lab machines we got came
without the analog cable from cdrom drive to soundcard. Just as well,
thought I, these new machines should be able to pull the audio data
over ide and D/A convert it... but apparently it's not that easy.

gxine tells me the proper plugin is missing. xmms has an option in
the cd audio player configuration panel but it's greyed out, and
during the build there are warnings that there is no support for
digital audio access on NetBSD. FreeBSD has an xmms-cdread package
but NetBSD and FreeBSD appear not to be compatible on that level. The
various cd player toys that come with Gnome and KDE just fail with
various unhelpful error messages (...SO like windows...) and usually
lack a way of configuring a device for the cdrom (what does e.g.
totem want to see as /dev/pg1500?).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a pkgsrc cd player that can
extract digital audio data? Or am I better off bugging the vendor for
the missing audio cables?

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email	        Institut für Nachrichtentechnik