Subject: Re: [RFC] mk/ to handle latex dependencies
To: None <>
From: Antoine Reilles <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2005 13:49:18
On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:15 AM, Min Sik Kim wrote:

> On 11/3/05, Antoine Reilles <> wrote:
>> The file now is mk/
>> I removed the FIRST_ACCEPTED logic, so now if a package do not
>> accept the
>> default version, which is defined by the user settable
>> LATEX_VERSION (defautls
>> to "teTeX2"), it will fail, and require the user to explicitly set
>> his
>> LATEX_DEFAULT to something the package can accept.
> Thank you for working on this.  I have a couple of comments.
> Shouldn't these LATEX_* variables be TEX_*?  Selecting teTeX version
> using LATEX_* through doesn't look consistent.
Why not. You're right, using TEX_ looks more consistent.
> Also, I think it would be better to split the version selection part
> from buildlinking (e.g., print/teTeX/ since very few of
> tex-* packages need buildlinking.  See ruby and python for example.
I'm planning to convert print/teTeX in a special package as for
python. At this stage, it may be good to separate those concerns. For
now, i have chosen do to the buildlink in all cases, because it
involves only very few files. Maybe print/teTeX could contain thing like, for applications using tex at run time, or
compile time, and, for tex extentions.
That one could also take in charge running mktexlrs, and also helpers
for modifying the texmf.cnf file