Subject: IRCD_HYBRID_* in mk/defaults/mk.conf
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/2005 01:40:19
Why are all those definitions of the IRCD_HYBRID_* variables in
mk/defaults/mk.conf? They are used in exactly _one_ package, namely
chat/ircd-hybrid. I thinks it's far more appropriate to do this in the
chat/ircd-hybrid/Makefile:

     # Include the user-defined settings
     .include "../../mk/bsd.prefs.mk"

     # Provide useful default values
     IRCD_HYBRID_FOO?=	bar
     BUILD_DEFS+= IRCD_HYBRID_FOO

The file mk/defaults/mk.conf is intended to be skimmed over by the
casual pkgsrc user to find settings {s,}he is likely to need. Assuming
this, the file should be reserved for the _important_ pkgsrc settings.
Settings that only affect a single package are not important by my
definition. :)

Roland