Subject: Request for a pkgsrc version of 'git'
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: walt <wa1ter@myrealbox.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2005 18:28:30
WTF is git?, you may ask.  I believe that git is the
next-generation replacement for CVS, subversion, et al.

Linus Torvalds (of linux fame) started the git project
to replace the proprietary 'bitkeeper' SCM package he
used until the corporate sponsor withdrew support from
the linux-kernel project over a licensing dispute.

Anyone who has ever cursed CVS should look at git:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/

Compiling git on a BSD/pkgsrc system is easy until here:

http-fetch.c:6:23: curl/curl.h: No such file or directory

The required 'curl.h' is in /usr/pkg/include/curl of course!

I can easily hack around this problem, but I think git is
important enough for you pkgsrc gurus to take an interest
and support it officially in pkgsrc.

Thanks!