Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2005 12:29:20
Julio wrote:
> : How to do this?  Maybe we could have a predefined directory within
> : LOCALBASE containing a set of scripts (one for each action that we want
> : to issue).  For example, one could be 'user.sh', and receive a set of
> : arguments to do (de)configuration of users.  Packages could simply be
> : allowed to call scripts within that directory (doing things in a very s=
imple
> : form, such as 'user [action] [parameters]').
>
>   This is more or less what Thomas and I had in mind.

Excellent :-)

> : I'd like to see something like this because it could allow some package=
> : to extend the default actions.  GConf2 comes to mind, as it could insta=
ll
> : a common script to register and unregister schemas.  (Several other
> : packages could benefit from this.)
>
>   This sounds useful, but allows packages to execute arbitrary code
> again (although you now need two packages to do it: one to install the
> script, the other to run it).  We should warn the admin when such
> scripts are installed.

Sure.  But the advantage could be that the administrator could only need to
review the installed scripts once, trusting them for all the other packages
installed afterwards.

FWIW, SuSE does something similar in their distribution.  I recall seeing i=
running a set of known scripts after the installation of packages, which in=
clude
the GConf2 stuff I mentioned above.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>