Subject: Re: Ubuntu bootstrap Failing
To: grant beattie <grant@NetBSD.org>
From: thoran <thoran@fastmail.fm>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2005 18:45:33
Hello,

By installing the libncurses library I did get it to bootstrap as
suggested and as does the README say!

I installed libncurses5-dev via Synaptic Package Manager (GUI), since
apt-get didn't do it.  I checked the /etc/apt/sources.list and it seems
fine.  (I hope mentioning another packaging system isn't verboten!)  I
checked on the Net and others have had this problem of apt not working,
but Synatic is working.

I could try deinstalling it and trying libncurses5 or some others if
this is at all useful.

As for my $0.02 on the subject of whether pkgsrc should compensate for
certain lacks I would say yes.  For two reasons ($0.01 each?):

1. pkgsrc needs to appear to be as good as it is, and so it should just
work;
2. I want things to just work, even though I know how good it is!