Subject: Re: pkg_install improvement project
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/2005 09:34:34
In article <Pine.LNX.4.61.0511090805130.13897@m24s24.vlinux.de> Hubert wrote:
: On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Thomas Klausner wrote:
: > The problem with a rewrite from scratch is that takes much time.
: > I for one only have time for incremental changes, however, I'll try
: > to refactor and rewrite as I go.

: I see.

  Also, starting a rewrite while the design of new features is still
unfinished is likely to result in messy code.  I think it's best to
postpone the rewrite until we have a stable feature set we are
satisfied with.

: >> Find what really
: >> needs C (the pkg wildcard matching from "pkg_admin pmatch" comes to mind),
: >> and most of the rest can probably done in /bin/sh.
: >
: > No! /bin/sh is completely the wrong language for this.
: > C is perhaps not the best one either, but it's well-supported
: > compilerwise and at least better than sh.

: What problems do you see in an implementaatin that has a small C core and
: sh scripts using that (e.g. for 'pkg_admin pmatch' and similar things)?

  That it is slow, that its syntax and especially its quoting rules
are awkward, that it relies on many external programs (which impairs
portablilty), that it has no type system (everything is a string) and
little support for data structures.

					yours,
					dillo