Subject: Re: An SSL Problem
To: thoran <thoran@fastmail.fm>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 23:24:01
On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 08:57:55AM +1000, thoran wrote:
> configure:5878: checking for openssl include directory
> configure:5889: gcc -c -O2 -I/usr/include -I/usr/pkg/include  -DLINUX
> -I/usr/include -I/usr/pkg/include -D_GNU_SOURCE conftest.c 1>&5
> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from configure:5883:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from configure:5883:

Your built-in openssl (in /usr/include and /usr/lib) is compiled to
require krb5 support.  Two things can be going wrong here: either the
krb5 headers and libraries aren't installed on your system (which I
tend to doubt for RHEL), or the krb5 headers simply aren't being found
by the configure script.  I suspect that it's the latter, and that in
order to use the OpenSSL headers and libraries on your Linux system,
the additional flags -I/usr/include/krb5 and also any necessary krb5
libraries need to be passed to the compiler.

I could probably extend the openssl detection to find this situation
and pull in the appropriate krb5 libraries, but that will take some
time to do, and I'll need someone with access to RHEL to do testing
for me.  If this is something that you think you would like to volunteer
for, please let me know.  The easy workaround for the problem is to
add the following to your /etc/mk.conf:

	PREFER_PKGSRC+=	openssl

This will cause the pkgsrc openssl headers and libraries to be
buildlinked, and the configure script should be able to locate those
ahead of the ones installed in the base system.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>