Subject: Re: Avoiding netpm dependencies
To: Geert Hendrickx <>
From: Johnny Lam <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 17:42:30
Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 06:39:48PM +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 12:10:39PM +0100, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>>> .if !empty(PKG_OPTIONS:Mtk)
>>>-DEPENDS+=		tk>=8.4:../../x11/tk
>>>+.  include "../../x11/tk/"
>>> PLIST_SUBST+=		TK=""
>>Don't change this part -- tk is not used for linking, so a plain DEPENDS
>>is quite sufficient. (The package only needs the wish executable from
> Oh, is this a different "kind" of dependency then?

Yes, I believe it is a different kind.  It only wants "wish" from at
least a certain version of x11/tk, as opposed to wanting to link against  If a packages wanted to do the latter, then including
tk/ is appropriate.

I'm debating whether to add "wish" (and similarly for "tclsh") to the
tools framework, so that a package that wanted "wish" at run-time would
set instead:

	USE_TOOLS+=	wish:run

The tools framework would then take care of providing a common place for
setting the dependency on the tk package, though it may be overridden on
a per-package basis.  This matches what I've currently done with "perl",
i.e., packages that want just want the "perl" interpreter at run-time
are setting:

	USE_TOOLS+=	perl:run

Note that the perl dependency in the tools framework is looser than the
one in perl5/ because if a package just wants the perl
interpreter, then some older version of perl can still be used.

	-- Johnny Lam <>