Subject: How to quarterly update
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 10:04:24
Looking at the recent quarterly release thread, I realized I don't
know how to do a global pkgsrc update!  There doesn't seem a
prescribed method, so I came up with this /bin/sh

for m in $( for n in `pkg_info  | sed -e 's/ .*//' -e 's/-[^-]*$//' ` ; do find /usr/pkgsrc -maxdepth 2 -name $n ; done ); do cd $m && make clean ; done

a bit pedestrian, but seems to work as expected, the installed
packages are queried, then a make clean is executed in the
respected source directory, of course make update could
additionally be run.

two of my packages don't know how to make clean:
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/distfiles/vim
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/x11/renderext

So, question, is this the best way to "upgrade" to pkgsrc-2005Q3?
Worthy of note, I was current before I set the tag to this branch.

// George

http://galis.org/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george@galis.org