Subject: Re: An SSL Problem
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: thoran <thoran@fastmail.fm>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 20:57:27
Hello Again Jeremy,

Thanks for your help.

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:05:02 -0800 (PST), "Jeremy C. Reed"
<reed@reedmedia.net> said:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, thoran wrote:
>
> > I then tried to link the pkgsrc openssl libraries in to the /usr/include
> > path and this seemed to work, but what a hack.
>
> Also should not be needed.

I removed it before I continued with your recommended sequence of
commands and it failed again in the same way as per below...

> > I haven't tried to remove the entry from ld.so.conf as yet.  I put it
> > there in first place because of advice given as a link on pkgsrc.org.
>
> What URL?

The url is http://pkgsrc.org.  The link is named: Slackware Linux with
pkgsrc Packages.  I realise RHEL may be different but the reference
seemed to be general.

> > The problem was that it couldn't find the ssl headers.
>
> The pkgsrc/www/lynx uses the openssl buildlink3.mk. The
> security/openssl/builtin.mk is a little confusing.
>
> In your pkgsrc/www/lynx try:
>
> bmake clean
> bmake configure
> cat work/.buildlink/.buildlink_openssl_done
> bmake show-var VARNAME=USE_BUILTIN.openssl
> bmake show-var VARNAME=BUILDLINK_PREFIX.openssl

I got to the second command.  Here's the tail of the output:

checking for SSL_get_version in -lssl... yes
checking for openssl include directory... no
checking if we can link to ssl library... no
configure: error: Cannot link with ssl library
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/www/lynx
===>
===> There was an error during the ``configure'' phase.
===> Please investigate the following for more information:
===>      * config.log
===>      * /usr/pkgsrc/www/lynx/work/.work.log
===>
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/www/lynx

This is the same as before.

Sincerely,

P.S. How do I contribute to the NetBSD on laptops thingy I saw on your
website.  I tried FreeBSD but it seized up quicksmart---not even 5
seconds into the boot.  FreeBSD has been fine except that the gnustep
metapackage failed on the last package build!  I'm using 2.1 in this
instance by the way.