Subject: Re: How to quarterly releases?
To: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@cs.stevens.edu>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 16:01:56
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 05:44:40AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
|On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Ryan Cresawn wrote:
|>LOCALBASE=/usr/pkg-alt
|>PKG_DBDIR=/var/db/pkg-alt
|>What are some other ways to achieve my goal?

I was fairly easily able to build all my packages in a chroot area
without modifying any mk.conf variables, then move /usr/pkg and
/var/db/pkg to a backup location and install the new set of packages.

Unfortunately what bit me was that I nuked the old /usr/pkg/etc before
recovering all my config files ... other than that it worked fine ...

|I have no real idea, but setting the above variables to something like
|/usr/pkg-2005Q1 etc. would make more sense to me, and then just point
|symlinks - /usr/pkg to keep in $PATH, and maybe even have /etc/rc*.d/*
|scripts point to /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/*, so it would get updated on the
|switch automatically.

I tend to prefer using null mounts (on NetBSD, not always available for
other OSes). I don't do this for pkgsrc (because I didn't think of it :)
but I'd be doing something like

mount -t null /mnt/raid0g/usr/pkg-2005Q1 /usr/pkg
mount -t null /mnt/raid0g/var/db/pkg-2005Q1 /var/db/pkg

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank