Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/2005 11:28:24
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 12:11:07AM +0100, Lubomir Sedlacik wrote:
|otoh, i agree that "packing list" should be just "packing list" and
|nothing more.  i also think that user installation should not be
|embedded in the packages themselves, they should just merely inform
|pkg_install that they require such and such users to be present and be
|done with it.

agreed ...

|i think that our pkg tools are showing their age pretty
|badly, their design lacks the features we need today and we are
|offloading the tasks to INSTALL scripts and pkgsrc infrastructure --
|the wrong place for them.

one thing that really really really annoys me is that users created
for packages are given uids in the order that the packages are installed.

Makes things really hard to keep machines in sync if you install the
same packages, but forget the order in which you'd done it ...

It would be nice to have a standard set of account details for
pkgsrc packages, or if that would be a nightmare to set up (as I think
it probably would be), allow each site to specify this at package
build time somehow (this may already be possible and I'm not aware of
it)

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch@mjch.net                                                left blank