Subject: Re: devel/flex dependencies
To: Gilles Dauphin <Gilles.Dauphin@enst.fr>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2005 11:24:26
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:06:37 +0100 (CET)
Gilles Dauphin <Gilles.Dauphin@enst.fr> wrote:

> Is your gcc-4.0.2 installed in /usr/pkg and libbiconv in /usr/pkg/lib ?
>
> Gilles

That's how it should be. I think the problem is gcc-4.0.2 depends on
gettext-lib and libiconv, and somehow building other packages links them to
these two libraries. Here is the difference

flex built with gcc-3.3.5:

ldd flex
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
        /platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1

flex built with gcc-4.0.2:

ldd flex
         libintl.so.2 =>  (file not found)
         libiconv.so.2 =>         (file not found)
         libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
         libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
         /platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1

I have a feeling that when I installed gcc-3.3.5 I didn't require gettext-lib
and libiconv, hence when building flex, the configure script couldn't fine
those libraries and skipped them. With gcc-4.0.2 gettext-lib and libiconv were
already present, so flex configure script found them and decided to link to
them.

This is annoying and inconsistent. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about,
but I always hated GNU autoconf and libtool, these two must die!