Subject: Re: devel/flex dependencies
To: Gilles Dauphin <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2005 11:24:26
On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:06:37 +0100 (CET)
Gilles Dauphin <> wrote:

> Is your gcc-4.0.2 installed in /usr/pkg and libbiconv in /usr/pkg/lib ?
> Gilles
That's how it should be. I think the problem is gcc-4.0.2 depends on
gettext-lib and libiconv, and somehow building other packages links them to
these two libraries. Here is the difference

flex built with gcc-3.3.5:

ldd flex =>     /lib/ =>     /lib/

flex built with gcc-4.0.2:

ldd flex =>  (file not found) =>         (file not found) =>     /lib/ =>     /lib/

I have a feeling that when I installed gcc-3.3.5 I didn't require gettext-lib
and libiconv, hence when building flex, the configure script couldn't fine
those libraries and skipped them. With gcc-4.0.2 gettext-lib and libiconv were
already present, so flex configure script found them and decided to link to

This is annoying and inconsistent. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about,
but I always hated GNU autoconf and libtool, these two must die!