Subject: Re: Updated distfiles with old version numbers
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg@britannica.bec.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/07/2005 12:12:52
On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 09:17:42AM +0200, Martti Kuparinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> How can I make these people understand that changing the distribution
> file without changing the version number is a bad thing to do from the
> package maintainer's point of view...

Just tell them that they should not rerelease identical versions. It is
completely bullshit and adding a lot of work for all build systems. It
doesn't matter whether we talk about RPMs, Gentoo, FreeBSD ports or
pkgsrc here. The MD5 sum are at least an indicator for the validity of
the download, it happened in the past that tarballs where modified on
some mirrors, but the MD5 sums proofed this.

Joerg