Subject: Re: updates for bbkeys and blackbox
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: scalopus <scalopus@punkass.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2005 20:33:01
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 11:09:40AM -0500, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net> wrote:
> > Here is an update for bbkeys and blackbox.
>
> Ever since the release of blackbox 0.70.0, people have asked why I
> haven't updated the wm/blackbox package.  I admit, I haven't looked into
> these issues in a while, but let me just repeat what I said earlier:
>
> I haven't updated blackbox to version 0.70.0, because there are many
> other applications that work with blackbox, that do not function with
> the new.  In particular, I'm hesitant to update blackbox until at the
> very least bbpager, bbkeys and bbmail are made to work with the new
> version.  If this version of bbkeys does in fact work with 0.70.x, then
> that's a good start.
>
> Something I've been pondering for a while is whether or not to _add_
> another package for blackbox 0.70.x that installs into a separate
> location, or that at the least conflicts with the regular blackbox
> package.  I'm afraid that might be necessary.  However, this would also
> require new versions of bbkeys, bbpager and all the other bbtools that
> have been updated to work with 0.70.x to be created as new packages,
> which is really messy.
>
> The last time I tried the new blackbox and the different bbtools, I was
> not satisfied at all with the usability.   With the new version I had to
> start bbpager and bbkeys _after_ starting blackbox (ie changing my
> ~/.xsession), a conversion of the bbkeys file is necessary and the
> default installation is missing my favorite styles.
>
> (Also see my previous message:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2005/09/05/0011.html)
>
> Somebody else emailed me just the other day regarding blackbox, and I
> think he said he wanted to import blackbox 0.70.x into pkgsrc-wip.
>
> As I said, I do not want to replace the current (working) version of
> blackbox with the new one until I'm certain that the new version will
> work equally well (with the other bb tools).
>
> -Jan
>
> --
>    That's a tricky one. You have to use calculus and imaginary numbers ...
>    like eleventeen, thirty-twelve, and all those ...
>                   -- Hobbes

  I am using blackbox from the pkgsrc, the "old" version, and as Jan says
is the version that works fine as a metapackage. I tried 0.70 and backed
to the old version because of bbkeys/bbpager/etc problems.
  As a bb user, IMHO there is no need to update to 0.70.x version until
it works fine with its apps.

   - scalopus