Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Stoned Elipot <seb@ssr.univ-paris7.fr>
From: Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2005 15:46:37
Stoned Elipot wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 04:32:5e1PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
>>Long term, I'd like to move the following features which are currently
>>implemented using shell scripts into the pkgtools, too. Not right now,
>>though, getting rid of the @exec's comes first.
>>. info file
>>. user/group
>>. /etc/shells
>>. config files
>>. reference count dirs/files
>>. font handling
>>. permissions
>
> [SNIP]
>
> And what the rationale for this long term goal ?

Just to provide some belated input, I think this long-term goal is good.
  Currently, the code that handles the above-mentioned items is in the
+INSTALL script for each package.  The problem with this is that the
code is actually part of the package -- if there are bugs that need to
be fixed or improvements that we wish to make in the code, then the
changes can only apply to future packages that we create, and existing
binary packages and even pre-installed packages on the system are stuck
with the old code.  Moving the code into the install tools themselves
fixes this problem.

The question of how to do this while preserving the flexibility we
currently have by using +INSTALL scripts is a separate issue -- for
example, I think it would be wrong to put the code into pkg_add and
pkg_delete, but rather there should be a separate pkg_* tool that
performs these actions.