Subject: Re: Overhauling PLIST command set
To: Stoned Elipot <seb@ssr.univ-paris7.fr>
From: Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/06/2005 18:31:48

Stoned Elipot wrote:
> And what the rationale for this long term goal ?

See the pkg_add(8) man page. There's a big warning after the first
paragraph.

We have already identified some of the common tasks that the current
pkg_add cannot handle. These tasks are currently done by shell scripts.
I think a future version of pkg_add will have some options like
--dont-install-packages-with-scripts or --confirm-script-execution. To
avoid that almost every package needs these scripts, these tasks (only
the common ones) should be added to the pkgtools. Or can you tell from
looking at a +USERGROUP script if it does exactly what it pretends to do?

This change would also make many binary packages smaller, as the scripts
are not needed.

Roland