Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/scamper
To: Dieter Baron <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2005 14:57:44
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Dieter Baron wrote:

> > >   Do you really want this package to fail on an IPv6 capabale system
> > > if the user choose to disable the inet6 option?
> >
> > Ideally, yes.  If the user requested omission of IPv6 support on a global
> > basis, packages that require IPv6 support should indeed fail.
>   Hm, if that was your intention, then your solution seems correct.
> I'm just uncomfortable with options that must be set.

Well, the idea with "inet6" is that it's one of the options that
platform-specific .mk files turn on automatically if the base OS provides
the feature, and the user can force it back off to avoid use of that

Can you think of a solution where we could specify "this option must be
here, or else we PKG_SKIP_REASON with a message"?  Note PKG_SKIP_REASON
rather than PKG_FAIL_REASON:  like *_FOR_PLATFORM, we probably shouldn't use
FAIL to mark this as a problem, but currently the options framework has no
provision for that.

The only reason I chose this as a "required group" is that requiring one
specific option is just a degenerate case of requiring one-of-a-group.  I'm
fully open to alternate solutions, as I do believe in the options framework
as a better way of handling this than the old, deprecated make variables.

-- Todd Vierling <> <> <>