Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc/net/scamper
To: Dieter Baron <dillo@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2005 14:57:44
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Dieter Baron wrote:

> > >   Do you really want this package to fail on an IPv6 capabale system
> > > if the user choose to disable the inet6 option?
> >
> > Ideally, yes.  If the user requested omission of IPv6 support on a global
> > basis, packages that require IPv6 support should indeed fail.
>
>   Hm, if that was your intention, then your solution seems correct.
> I'm just uncomfortable with options that must be set.

Well, the idea with "inet6" is that it's one of the options that
platform-specific .mk files turn on automatically if the base OS provides
the feature, and the user can force it back off to avoid use of that
feature.

Can you think of a solution where we could specify "this option must be
here, or else we PKG_SKIP_REASON with a message"?  Note PKG_SKIP_REASON
rather than PKG_FAIL_REASON:  like *_FOR_PLATFORM, we probably shouldn't use
FAIL to mark this as a problem, but currently the options framework has no
provision for that.

The only reason I chose this as a "required group" is that requiring one
specific option is just a degenerate case of requiring one-of-a-group.  I'm
fully open to alternate solutions, as I do believe in the options framework
as a better way of handling this than the old, deprecated make variables.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>