Subject: Re: Please test bootstrap
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/02/2005 13:21:28
On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, Todd Vierling wrote:

> I wouldn't be surprised if the Darwin-supplied bsd.*.mk files set these,
> causing a failure similar to the one I've run into on Interix.
>
> I'm trying to track down the include ordering problem now.

OK, so MAKESYSPATH doesn't work as an override.  If I change (in
makefile.boot.in):

	${BMAKE_ENV} ./bmake.boot -f Makefile

to:

	${BMAKE_ENV} ./bmake.boot -m ${MK} -f Makefile

it manages to start building the non-bootstrap bmake.

Besides that, however, I don't think pkgsrc-supplied bmake should be
searching the alternate paths -- ever.  From a truss(1) output, I see it
opening *all* incarnations of a .mk file and parsing them -- which is very
harmful to bmake.  System-supplied "BSD make" .mk fragments are somewhat
make version specific, so if the OS supplies such files, they should be used
only by the native make, not pkgsrc-supplied bmake.

I highly recommend changing both bootstrap and devel/bmake such that the
path passed to boot-strap contains $prefix/share/mk and nothing else.  This
will remove the need for both MAKESYSPATH and -m, and will prevent the
read-'em-all lunacy I am seeing.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com> <todd@vierling.name>