Subject: Re: Option to enable debug support in a pkg
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/2005 13:48:37
Martin Husemann wrote:
> Now my question: would it be a good idea to have a common way to do this
> via the options framework? Like
>
>   PKG_OPTIONS.ORBit2 += debug
>   PKG_OPTIONS.gecko += debug
>
> This would save the casual debugger (like me) having to figure out the
> config/build magic, which likely is very obvious to the pkg creator.

Yes, this is a fine idea.  Please consider the "debug" option globally
allocated and go ahead and start using it in your packages.  We'll leave
it up to the individual package maintainers to figure out how to add
support for the debug option if they want.  There should probably be
some other stuff triggered by this in bsd.pkg.mk, e.g. "debug" triggers
stripping and such to not occur, but we'll set that aside for another day.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>