Subject: feature proposal: sftp support for pkg_add
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Lasse Kliemann <lasse-list-tech-pkg-netbsd-2004@plastictree.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/29/2005 02:45:14
--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

Greetings,

I find the ftp support in pkg_add (via PKG_PATH) extremely useful. =20
Unfortunately, I cannot open my private repository of binary packages to th=
e=20
world, because it contains packages that may not be distributed in this way=
=20
(djbdns for example). The most comfortable solution would be to use sftp an=
d=20
public key authentification instead of ftp.

I know that ftp also allows authentification. However, I do not want to run=
 my=20
ftp server as root. Ok, likely, one will find an ftp server that allows som=
e=20
kind of authentification even when not running as root. But then, still,=20
passwords are sent in clear text, AFAIK.

The sftp solution would be much cleaner.

Unfortunately, I failed in my attempt to hack sftp support into pkg_add. Bu=
t=20
maybe this is an easy task for someone who is more familiar with the code o=
f=20
pkg_add than I am? Maybe other users are interested in this feature as well?

Maybe there is a completely different solution to my problem? First copying=
=20
over all binary packages to a local directory is suboptimal, because it suc=
ks=20
up a lot of bandwidth. Not all packages in the repository are needed on eve=
ry=20
machine of mine.
In Linux, one could use sshfs to make the repository visible in a local=20
directory. But I am unaware of anything similar to sshfs in *BSD. NFS is=20
available, but AFAIK this should not be used without IPsec (at least not ov=
er=20
the Internet). Anyone knows a good tutorial how to configure IPsec and NFS?

Thanks for your advice!

All the best,
Lasse

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH