Subject: Re: use of FILE_CMD (was Re: [solved] Re: lintpkgsrc install fails)
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.okt.fuenf@onlinehome.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2005 17:07:20
Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Todd Vierling wrote:
>

>>Not using file(1) would be a good start.  I didn't know we did such ...
>>filthy heuristics.  8-)
>

> When I encountered the use of "file" in subst.mk in the past I
> thought about the same...
> As the CVS log shows, Grant removed it in 2003 but that broke some
> packages, so the change was reverted.
>

>>actually should be modifying.  Any such instances should be removed from the
>>affected SUBST_FILES before removing the use of file(1) from subst.mk.

SUBST_FILES is used not just in packages, but internally by the pkgsrc
infrastructure as well.  We do substitution in things like *-config, and
I didn't want to catch the oddball binary that was named foo-config.  I
sort of threw in a check using file(1) as a last moment thing, and I
hoped to revisit it later in case there was a better way to do what I
wanted.  You can see in pkgsrc/mk/subst.mk that what I want to do is
check that the file in which we're about to do substitution is actually
a text file by using _SUBST_IS_TEXT_FILE.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam@pkgsrc.org>