Subject: Re: PKGREVISION
To: NetBSD Packages Technical Discussion List <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/2005 11:12:40
On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> That should be a very strong hint to everyone that there's something
> fundamentally wrong with the idea of forcing all the users of a shared
> Makefile.common to have their own unique PKGREVISION setting.
>
> For example sometimes, maybe even very often, the need to bump the
> revision is due to a change that's common to (i.e. affects) all those
> packages which share a Makefile.common and now with this nonsensical
> rule they _all_ _MUST_ have their PKGREVISION values updated
> simultaneously, which is more work, more error prone, and all really for
> no good reason.

Are you suggesting that we add another variable for the specific package
for a revision?

If we have a Makefile.common that defines the source distfile. Then we
have a client package that is updated (using same Makefile.common) such as
installing an extra documentation file, the PKGREVISION bump should be
done just specific for that package.

  Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/