Subject: Re: Support for marking packages as installed automatically as dependencies
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/27/2005 20:30:40
On Feb 12,  6:25am, Todd Vierling wrote:
} On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, John Nemeth wrote:
}
} > I'm thinking of having it do something like this:
} >
} > -     pkga blah blah
} > a     pkgb blah blah
} > axy   pkgc blah blah
} > ...
} >
} > I.e. moving the package name over a bit and having space at the
} > beginning of the line for flags (where a would indicate a package that
} > was automatically installed).
}
} Sounds good, except that the output is used by certain tools in pkgsrc, as
} well as some users' own scripts.  If we want to add information to the

     Oops...

} pkg_info listing output, it should be after the package name, not before; as
} a strawman example:
}
} pkga	(-) blah blah
} pkgb	(a) blah blah
} ...

     That would work.  My idea was just a suggestion.  It might be nice
to line up the columns for quick and easy visual examinations.  There
would probably have to be some consideration for not lining up the
columns in the case of a package with an obscenely long name.

}-- End of excerpt from Todd Vierling